AARMS understands the many complexities and concerns when organizations require an Asbestos Survey, an Asbestos Register and an Asbestos Management Plan. We understand the need for fast, confidential analysis of a workplace to ensure the protection of your staff, contractors and assets.
Asbestos in Australia -
– Australia Asbestos
Asbestos Surveys – Changes to Safe Work Australia, and a move towards a National OHS policy will see the Asbestos Survey being regarded as a key OHS requirement for all commercial properties or workplaces built prior to 2003. ALL commercial properties and workplaces must have an Asbestos Survey completed. The details of this survey are to be made available to all employees, contractors and staff.
Asbestos Identifying and Asbestos Exposure
An Asbestos Survey
and Register should detail the following;
- The Location of any asbestos containing materials (ACM). The location should be detailed and easy for any layperson to have a clear understanding. There should also be a photograph of the area.
- Identify the type of ACM for example, asbestos cement.
- Detail the condition
- Detail the management and legal requirements
- Detail any maintenance works required to minimize asbestos exposure.
- Asbestos sampling – all samples taken MUST be tested an a NATA accredited laboratory.
If Asbestos is identified at the property or workplace, an Asbestos Management Plan needs to be developed. This is a detailed plan that sets out the requirements for asbestos Management as required by the National Code of Practice for the Safe Management of Asbestos.
A person with management or control of a workplace must ensure asbestos at the workplace is identified, the location of asbestos is clearly indicated and recorded in a register and have a written asbestos management plan if asbestos has been identified at the workplace (or is likely to be there at times).